Calvary Charismatic Baptist Church (former Trinity Methodist Church), including attached hall and church rooms, East India Dock Road, Poplar E14 - Tower Hamlets

The church, hall and offices, arranged around a courtyard, were built in the 1950s as part of the live architectural exhibition of the 1951 Festival of Britain by Cecil Handisyde and D Rogers Stark. The roof to the church and its exposed concrete frame were repaired in 2017 with a grant from Historic England. Further phases of repair are required to the remaining roofs and external fabric.

Calvary Charismatic Baptist Church (former Trinity Methodist Church), including attached hall and church rooms, East India Dock Road, Poplar E14 - Tower Hamlets
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH (INCLUDING ATTACHED HALL AND CHURCH ROOMS)
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1376625
  • Local Planning Authority: Tower Hamlets
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Chapel

Location

  • Building Name: Calvary Charismatic Baptist Church (former Trinity Methodist Church)
  • Street Name: East India Dock Road
  • Postcode: E14
  • Locality: Poplar
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Poplar and Limehouse
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England