Church of St Joseph, Highgate Hill, Islington N19 - Islington

The Passionists (Roman Catholic Religious Order) acquired the site in 1858 and built a monastery and chapel. The chapel was rebuilt in 1887-9 by Albert Vicars in a Neo-Romanesque style. Some localised roof repairs were carried out in 2015 with a grant from the Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund. The interior has been repainted. There are still parts of the external fabric in poor condition and a comprehensive repair programme is needed.

Church of St Joseph, Highgate Hill, Islington N19 - Islington
© Jim Linwood

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1279729
    Local Planning Authority:
    Islington
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Joseph
    Street Name:
    Highgate Hill
    Locality:
    Islington
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Islington
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Islington North
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA