Church of St Peter, Warmsworth Road - Doncaster

Known as 'The White Church'. Consecrated in 1942 and mentioned in a wartime broadcast from Berlin by the notorious 'Lord Haw Haw'. Designed by Brundell & Faran of Doncaster, built by PP Taylor. Painted and rendered brick with brick dressings and blue/green glazed pantile roofs. Broad nave with porch to west and domed chancel to east with flanking Lady Chapel to the north east and vestry to the south east. All windows have metal casements with brick cills. Steel-framed windows in poor condition and some deterioration to the concrete floor structure.

Church of St Peter, Warmsworth Road - Doncaster
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST PETER
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1096038
    Local Planning Authority:
    Doncaster
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Peter
    Street Name:
    Warmsworth Road
    County:
    South Yorkshire
    District / Borough:
    Doncaster
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Doncaster Central
    Region:
    Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Fair
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II