Old Stanmore Church, Church Road, Stanmore - Harrow

The now roofless ruined church of St John the Evangelist was built in 1632, attributed to Nicholas Stone. The wall heads have exposed brickwork allowing rainwater ingress. This is resulting in the erosion of mortar and bricks and supporting deleterious plant growth. There is decayed mortar, brick, stone and timber elsewhere around the building along with some vertical cracking in the walling. The church is occasionally used for worship.

Old Stanmore Church, Church Road, Stanmore - Harrow
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    OLD STANMORE CHURCH
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1079747
    Local Planning Authority:
    Harrow
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Old Stanmore Church
    Street Name:
    Church Road
    Locality:
    Stanmore
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Harrow
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Harrow East
    Region:
    London

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA