Church of St Chad, Stockton - Shropshire (UA)

This church has C12 origins but was heavily restored in 1858-8 at the expense of TC Whitmore of Apley Park. The church has a nave with a west end tower, short transepts and a chancel with a north side vestry. The tower, transepts and nave roofs and associated parapet gutters urgently require renewal of surface coverings and linings. Assorted masonry repairs and repointing to both tower and nave walls are also required together with modifications to the surface water drainage system to control and manage water discharged from high level gargoyles and chutes.

Church of St Chad, Stockton - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Church of St Chad
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1053743
  • Local Planning Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Chad
  • Unitary Authority: Shropshire (UA)
  • Parish: Stockton
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Ludlow
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*

Contact Details

John Tiernan 0121 625 6839

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England