Church of St James, Village Street, Woolsthorpe By Belvoir - South Kesteven

Church, 1847 by GG Place of Nottingham. Built in the early C14 style on the site of the former St Mary's Chapel of Ease. The church has suffered problems associated with structural movement and roofing defects. A Heritage Lottery Fund Repair Grant for Places of Worship funded the renewal of nave and south aisle roofing and extensive roof timber repairs and structural works in 2014-15. The condition of the stonework to the tower and the main body of the church is of concern and the interior needs repair following many years of damage from water ingress.

Church of St James, Village Street, Woolsthorpe By Belvoir - South Kesteven
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1168645
  • Local Planning Authority: South Kesteven
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St James
  • Street Name: Village Street
  • County: Lincolnshire
  • District / Borough: South Kesteven
  • Parish: Woolsthorpe By Belvoir
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Grantham and Stamford
  • Region: East Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

Ben Robinson 01480 412107

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England