Serbian Orthodox Church of St George, Rutland Street, Leicester - Leicester, City of (UA)

Built in 1823-7 by William Parsons; the chancel was added by Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1879. In use as a Serbian Orthodox place of worship in the centre of Leicester. Work to roof coverings and timber repairs, rainwater goods and drainage was funded in two phases under the joint Historic England/Heritage Lottery Fund repair grants scheme in 2014. The church fabric remains at risk from water penetration caused by the blockages of the high level rainwater disposal system, due to the proximity of churchyard trees. Plans have been submitted to open views to the church by reducing the tree cover.

Serbian Orthodox Church of St George, Rutland Street, Leicester - Leicester, City of (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church Of St George
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1299776
    Local Planning Authority:
    Leicester, City of (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Serbian Orthodox Church of St George
    Street Name:
    Rutland Street
    Locality:
    Leicester
    Unitary Authority:
    Leicester, City of (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Leicester South
    Region:
    East Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Fair
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA