Church of St Mary the Virgin, Flaxley, Blaisdon - Forest of Dean

Parish church, 1856, by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Red sandstone ashlar, with grey sandstone ashlar dressings, timber porch, tiled roof with crested ridge, shingles to spire. Nave, north aisle, with tower at its west end, chancel, organ chamber and south porch. The nave roofs have had repairs, however the chancel and organ chamber roofs need urgent re-tiling. The spire shingling needs renewing following woodpecker damage.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Flaxley, Blaisdon - Forest of Dean
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church of St Mary the Virgin
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1186458
    Local Planning Authority:
    Forest of Dean
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Mary the Virgin
    Locality:
    Flaxley
    County:
    Gloucestershire
    District / Borough:
    Forest of Dean
    Parish:
    Blaisdon
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Forest of Dean
    Region:
    South West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*