Former Huddersfield Infirmary - Kirklees

Huddersfield's first infirmary was opened in 1831 to designs by architect John Oates. It was built in response to concerns about industrial accidents and funded by public donations. Originally set in landscaped gardens, its grand entrance was modelled on a Greek temple. Through later additions, its accommodation grew from 20 beds to 85 by 1885. It was last in use as a college. The roof is leaking significantly causing damage to the roof structure, walls and interior. The building has been subject to heritage crime. Its re-use forms part of a major mixed use development proposal, Trinity West.

Former Huddersfield Infirmary - Kirklees
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    HUDDERSFIELD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (ADMINISTRATION AND BUSINESS)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1228645
    Local Planning Authority:
    Kirklees
    Site Type:
    Health and welfare > Hospital

Location

    Building Name:
    Former Huddersfield Infirmary
    County:
    West Yorkshire
    District / Borough:
    Kirklees
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Huddersfield
    Region:
    Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Commercial company
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA