Church of St Martin and attached cloister and vicarage, Dixon Street, Wolverhampton - Wolverhampton, City of

Church, cloister and vicarage built 1938-9 by Lavander and Twentyman. Brick Modernist church with pantile roofs, coped gables and parapets. The elevations are plain except for the statue of St Martin by Donald Potter on the west facade above the entrance. The interior is remarkably intact. The church was originally lined with asbestos, which is still in place. The roof and gutters are in need of repair so that leaks do not disturb the asbestos below. Previous water ingress meant the building was closed until the source of the leaks was repaired. Subsequently comprehensive repair is needed.

Church of St Martin and attached cloister and vicarage, Dixon Street, Wolverhampton - Wolverhampton, City of
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MARTIN AND ATTACHED CLOISTER AND VICARAGE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1282500
    Local Planning Authority:
    Wolverhampton, City of
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Martin and attached cloister and vicarage
    Street Name:
    Dixon Street
    Locality:
    Wolverhampton
    County:
    West Midlands
    District / Borough:
    Wolverhampton, City of
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Wolverhampton South East
    Region:
    West Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II