Church of St Clement with St Barnabas and St Matthew, King Square EC1 - Islington

Designed by Thomas Hardwick and built in the 1820s forming one side of a Georgian square now replaced with 1960s housing blocks. The interior was re-ordered by Norman Haines in 1953. Works to re-slate the nave roof along with repairs to the parapets, coping stones and the overhauling of rainwater goods were completed in 2019 with funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Further repairs are required to the tower and spire.

Church of St Clement with St Barnabas and St Matthew, King Square EC1 - Islington
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT WITH ST BARNABAS AND ST MATTHEW
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1366078
    Local Planning Authority:
    Islington
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Clement with St Barnabas and St Matthew
    Street Name:
    King Square
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Islington
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Islington South and Finsbury
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II