Church of St Mary, Victoria Promenade, West Bank - Halton (UA)

Significant landmark church built alongside the lower Mersey river, adjacent to the Runcorn bridge. Designed by Austin and Paley and built in 1908. Two major phases of repair already completed to the tower and the roofs of the northern side of the nave and the chancel. Replacement of the tiled roofs and gutters on the south side is still required to ensure that the church is watertight and free from wet and dry rot.

Church of St Mary, Victoria Promenade, West Bank - Halton (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MARY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1130420
    Local Planning Authority:
    Halton (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Street Name:
    Victoria Promenade
    Locality:
    West Bank
    Unitary Authority:
    Halton (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Halton
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA