Church of St Martin, Clapham Road, Bedford - Bedford (UA)

Church of 1888-9 by JA Chatwin of Birmingham, in Gothic style. A large urban church of yellow brick with red brick banding; stone copings to gable. Four bay nave and arcades; shallow transepts; Lady Chapel; polygonal apse and east baptistery. North vestry and ancillary rooms; church hall to south. Movement on north side of church now largely ceased and some cracks closed up following tree removal. Vestry movement more severe. Architect and Structural Engineer advising Parish.

Church of St Martin, Clapham Road, Bedford - Bedford (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1390539
    Local Planning Authority:
    Bedford (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Martin
    Street Name:
    Clapham Road
    Locality:
    Bedford
    Unitary Authority:
    Bedford (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Bedford
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA