Christ Apostolic Church (formerly Church of St John), Highgate Road, Kentish Town NW5 - Camden

Church built on the site of the Kentish Town Chapel of 1783 by James Wyatt, of which the nave walls and apse remain. The rest was rebuilt in 1843-45 by JH Hakewill. High level repairs to the west end, grant-aided by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Historic England, were completed in 2011. A chimney fell in a storm in December 2013 causing roof and internal damage. Works to repair the roof damage are complete. Further internal and external repairs are urgently needed.

Christ Apostolic Church (formerly Church of St John), Highgate Road, Kentish Town NW5 - Camden
© Historic England Archive

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHRIST APOSTOLIC CHURCH (FORMER CHURCH OF ST JOHN)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1379013
    Local Planning Authority:
    Camden
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Christ Apostolic Church (formerly Church of St John)
    Street Name:
    Highgate Road
    Locality:
    Kentish Town
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Camden
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Holborn and St. Pancras
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II