Church of St Mark and boundary walls to Stoney Stanton Lane and Bird Street - Coventry

The church of St Mark was built in 1869 and consists of a clerestoried nave with aisles, a chancel, north porch and south vestry: the west end of the north aisle also has a tall bell-cote. A church hall extension was added to the south side in1962. Following closure in 1973, the church was internally remodelled and converted to a hospital outpatient's department. Now relicensed and re-ordered for public worship, it has a catalogue of building fabric defects that require urgent attention including reroofing works, the renewal of rainwater goods, drainage and assorted high level masonry repairs.

Church of St Mark and boundary walls to Stoney Stanton Lane and Bird Street - Coventry
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Church of St Mark and boundary walls to Stoney Stanton Lane and Bird Street
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1104904
  • Local Planning Authority: Coventry
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Mark and boundary walls to Stoney Stanton Lane and Bird Street
  • County: West Midlands
  • District / Borough: Coventry
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Coventry South
  • Region: West Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

John Tiernan 0121 625 6839

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England