Old Cheddar's Lane pumping station - Cambridge

The pumping station was built in 1894 to house two Hathorn Davey steam engines and pumps to pump the town's sewage to the treatment works two miles away. Household rubbish was burned as boiler fuel to raise the steam to drive the engines. The site ran under steam, gas and electricity before closing in 1968. It is now the Cambridge Museum of Technology. In 2016 the National Lottery Heritage Fund awarded a grant towards the further development of the Museum. Historic England grant aided the first stage of internal repairs and funded a report to investigate the condition of further elements.

Old Cheddar's Lane pumping station - Cambridge
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Old Cheddar's Lane pumping station
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1006896
    Local Planning Authority:
    Cambridge
    Site Type:
    Industrial > Water regulation installation

Location

    Building Name:
    Old Cheddar's Lane pumping station
    County:
    Cambridgeshire
    District / Borough:
    Cambridge
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Cambridge
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Occupied/in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    B
    Ownership:
    Charity (heritage)
    Designation:
    Scheduled Monument, CA