Church of St George, Burrington - Herefordshire, County of (UA)

Small rural church. Of medieval origins, the nave was rebuilt in c1855 by S Pountney Smith and the chancel rebuilt and shortened in 1864 by Bodley. Simple plan of chancel and nave with belfry. The church has been shut since 2016 as the roof is in a dangerous condition. The perimeter of the chuch has been cordoned off due to ongoing falls of tiles. The bad condition of the roof has caused falls of plaster inside the church.

Church of St George, Burrington - Herefordshire, County of (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church of St George
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1081799
    Local Planning Authority:
    Herefordshire, County of (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St George
    Unitary Authority:
    Herefordshire, County of (UA)
    Parish:
    Burrington
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    North Herefordshire
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II