Bawdsey Manor, Bawdsey - East Suffolk

Elaborate gardens laid out between 1885 and 1909 for Sir Cuthbert and Lady Quilter on advice from Alfred Parsons. The site contains numerous garden features built by James Pulham and Son in the 1890s, including an extensive artificial cliff garden complete with seats and alcoves. The Pulhamite features require conservation, and both gardens and park are in need of strategic management. Coastal erosion remains a major concern. Restoration of some features will come forward alongside redevelopment of the site as an outdoor education centre, with reinstatement of the River Jordan now complete.

Bawdsey Manor, Bawdsey - East Suffolk
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Bawdsey Manor
    Heritage Category:
    Registered Park and Garden grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1001465
    Local Planning Authority:
    East Suffolk
    Site Type:
    Gardens parks and urban spaces > Garden

Location

    County:
    Suffolk
    District / Borough:
    East Suffolk
    Parish:
    Bawdsey
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Suffolk Coastal
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Park and garden
    Condition:
    Generally satisfactory but with significant localised problems
    Vulnerability:
    High
    Trend:
    Stable
    Ownership:
    Mixed, multiple owners
    Designation:
    Registered Park and Garden grade II, 9 LBs