Bentley Priory - Harrow

A C16 estate enlarged and improved in the late C18. Sir Uvedale Price and William Gilpin influenced the design in the early C19. Royal Air Force Fighter Command occupied the mansion from 1936, which played a central role in World War II, now converted to a museum with residential units, and new housing in the grounds. The Italian gardens and most of the immediate landscaped surrounds of the mansion have been restored, but boundary treatment, views and the character of the lake in land owned and managed by the Local Authority remain issues to be resolved.

Bentley Priory - Harrow
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Bentley Priory
  • Heritage Category: Registered Park and Garden grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1001440
  • Local Planning Authority: Harrow
  • Site Type: Gardens parks and urban spaces > Landscape park

Location

  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Harrow
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Harrow East
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Park and garden
  • Condition: Generally satisfactory but with significant localised problems
  • Vulnerability: Medium
  • Trend: Stable
  • Ownership: Mixed, multiple owners
  • Designation: Registered Park and Garden grade II, LB grade II*

Contact Details

Christopher Laine 020 7973 3473

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England