Former Savoy Cinema, Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgware - Brent

The Savoy Cinema was built for the independent circuit Goide & Glassman and was designed by cinema architect George Coles. It opened on 29th June 1936 with Bobby Breen in “Rainbow on the River”. It is an impressive cinema with all of its internal Moderne fittings intact. It operated as a bingo hall from the 1960s but closed in 2014. Despite several attempts to sell, occupy and find a new use for the building it remains empty and in a declining state with crumbling plasterwork.

Former Savoy Cinema, Burnt Oak Broadway, Edgware - Brent
© London Borough of Brent

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    MECCA BINGO CLUB
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1384932
    Local Planning Authority:
    Brent
    Site Type:
    Civil > Public building

Location

    Building Name:
    Former Savoy Cinema
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Brent
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Brent North
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Commercial company