Former Mecca Bingo, 161-169, Essex Road N1 - Islington

Built as the Carlton Cinema in 1930 by George Coles, previously a bingo hall and now in use as a place of worship by Resurrection Manifestations. The building has black, white and coloured faience to the Essex Road front, the rest being of yellow brick with a slate roof. The façade to Essex Road is in Egyptian style. The church has temporary consent for its use of the building, including the temporary division of the main auditorium. Some repairs and restoration have been carried out, but there is evidence of damage to the faience tiles. Proposals for re-use are currently being explored.

Former Mecca Bingo, 161-169, Essex Road N1 - Islington
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    MECCA BINGO
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1292870
    Local Planning Authority:
    Islington
    Site Type:
    Recreational > Music speech and dance venue

Location

    Building Name:
    Former Mecca Bingo
    Street Number:
    161-169
    Street Name:
    Essex Road
    Postcode:
    N1
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Islington
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Islington South and Finsbury
    Region:
    London

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*