Elvaston Castle, Borrowash Road, Elvaston - South Derbyshire

Country house, 1633, altered C18 and early C19, has formal gardens to the south, south east, pleasure grounds to the north and north east, and a range of courtyards and outbuildings to the west. Gardens were laid out 1830-1851 by William Barron. Permanent repairs to garden structures, survey and strategic options report all completed with grants from Historic England. The Castle has been re-roofed and the orchid house has been re-glazed, with the entire roof now water-tight. There is an on-going programme of repairs and a draft masterplan for the site has been put to public consultation.

Elvaston Castle, Borrowash Road, Elvaston - South Derbyshire
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    ELVASTON CASTLE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1334604
    Local Planning Authority:
    South Derbyshire
    Site Type:
    Domestic > Country house

Location

    Building Name:
    Elvaston Castle
    Street Name:
    Borrowash Road
    County:
    Derbyshire
    District / Borough:
    South Derbyshire
    Parish:
    Elvaston
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    South Derbyshire
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Part occupied/part in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Local authority
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, RPG grade II*