Licensed Victuallers Almshouses: Chapel, Asylum Road SE15 - Southwark

Former almshouse chapel, dating from 1827-31. The building is leased by the Local Authority to a local artists' group. The building suffered bomb damage in World War II. Following completion of urgent repairs, jointly funded by the Local Authority and Historic England, the leaseholders have been working closely with strategic funders and stakeholders to develop a long-term strategy. This is likely to lead to further funding bids and major conservation works in the next couple of years to secure a fully sustainable future for the building.

Licensed Victuallers Almshouses: Chapel, Asylum Road SE15 - Southwark
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    LICENSED VICTUALLERS BENEVOLENT INSTITUTION (CAROLINE GARDENS)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1376538
    Local Planning Authority:
    Southwark
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Chapel

Location

    Building Name:
    Licensed Victuallers Almshouses: Chapel
    Street Name:
    Asylum Road
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Southwark
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Camberwell and Peckham
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Occupied/in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Local authority
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II, CA