West Ham Court House, West Ham Lane E15 - Newham

The first Court House of 1884, to the design of Lewis Angell, was extended symmetrically in 1905 to provide a second courtroom. Having been vacated it suffered from theft, vandalism and decay over many years, as well as from fire damage in 2014, resulting in the loss of much of the historic interior. In 2019 the Local Authority undertook to remove asbestos and decayed fabric, to stabilise the surviving walls and to protect the site. This work was completed in early 2020 with partial grant funding from Historic England. The Local Authority is committed to exploring its long-term future.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    WEST HAM COURT HOUSE
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1080974
    Local Planning Authority:
    Newham
    Site Type:
    Civil > Public building

Location

    Building Name:
    West Ham Court House
    Street Name:
    West Ham Lane
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Newham
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    West Ham
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    B
    Ownership:
    Local authority
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786