Martello Tower "K", Kirby Road, Walton on the Naze, Frinton and Walton - Tendring

One of 29 Martello towers originally built along the east coast 1808-12, against the threat of French invasion. Some internal alteration and problems arising from water ingress. Pre-application discussions for domestic conversion commenced May 2014. Structural investigations have been undertaken and the principles of proposed domestic conversion have been agreed with Historic England. Pre-application discussions have continued and a scheme for domestic conversion has been discussed with Historic England but has yet to be agreed.

Martello Tower "K", Kirby Road, Walton on the Naze, Frinton and Walton - Tendring
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Martello tower K and associated battery south west of Walton Mere
  • Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
  • List Entry Number: 1016787
  • Local Planning Authority: Tendring
  • Site Type: Defence > Coastal defence site

Location

  • Building Name: Martello Tower "K"
  • Street Name: Kirby Road
  • Locality: Walton on the Naze
  • County: Essex
  • District / Borough: Tendring
  • Parish: Frinton and Walton
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Clacton
  • Region: East of England

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Vacant/not in use
  • Priority: D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
  • Previous Priority: D
  • Ownership: Private
  • Designation: Scheduled Monument and Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number(s): 1016787 and 1111504

Contact Details

Deborah Priddy 01223 582720

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England