Former Clare College Mission Church, Southwark Park SE16 - Southwark

Former mission church of circa 1900 and 1911-1912, by John W Simpson and Maxwell Ayrton, built for Clare College, Cambridge in Italianate style. The walls are ferro-concrete with shallow pitched tiled roofs. Following refurbishment, the building is used as gallery space by the Bermondsey Artists' Group following a Big Lottery grant under the Community Assets Programme. Whilst Historic England and the Local Authority have previously funded roof repairs, further repairs are required to the walls.

Former Clare College Mission Church, Southwark Park SE16 - Southwark
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: FORMER CLARE COLLEGE MISSION CHURCH
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1385919
  • Local Planning Authority: Southwark
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Former Clare College Mission Church
  • Street Name: Southwark Park
  • Postcode: SE16
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Southwark
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Bermondsey and Old Southwark
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Occupied/in use
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Local authority

Contact Details

Shanali Counsell (LPA) 020 7525 1770

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England