Former Chapel of St Mary in the grounds of Ellel Grange, Ellel - Lancaster

Former chapel built on the Ellel Grange estate in 1873 and designed by W and G Audsley. A striking building in the High Victorian style with ceiling paintings and good quality internal fittings, some of which have been stolen. Building has been vacant for at least 17 years. In 2006-7, Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent were granted for repair and extension. Work has not commenced and permissions have now expired. The LPA is currently in discussions with the owners to achieve a scheme of repair and reuse.

Former Chapel of St Mary in the grounds of Ellel Grange, Ellel - Lancaster
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: KINGS LEE CHAPEL
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1317926
  • Local Planning Authority: Lancaster
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Former Chapel of St Mary in the grounds of Ellel Grange
  • County: Lancashire
  • District / Borough: Lancaster
  • Parish: Ellel
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Lancaster and Fleetwood
  • Region: North West

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Vacant/not in use
  • Priority: A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: A
  • Ownership: Charity (non-heritage)

Contact Details

Tim Wilkins 0161 242 1419

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England