Shardlow Hall, London Road, Shardlow and Great Wilne - South Derbyshire

Small country house built in 1684. Some remodelling was undertaken in 1726 by Francis Smith of Warwick, and again in 1768 by Joseph Pickford when Palladian flanking wings were added. Was in use as a Preparatory school in the early C20 and used as offices of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food from 1946 to 1986. The hall is now surrounded by poor quality C20 buildings. Roofs are in need of repair.

Shardlow Hall, London Road, Shardlow and Great Wilne - South Derbyshire
© South Derbyshire District Council

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Shardlow Hall With Attached Garden Seat To North-East Corner, Steps C.14M From North-West Front And Steps C.7M West Of South-West Corner
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1088368
  • Local Planning Authority: South Derbyshire
  • Site Type: Domestic > Country house

Location

  • Building Name: Shardlow Hall
  • Street Name: London Road
  • County: Derbyshire
  • District / Borough: South Derbyshire
  • Parish: Shardlow and Great Wilne
  • Parliamentary Constituency: South Derbyshire
  • Region: East Midlands

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Fair
  • Occupancy / Use: Part occupied/part in use
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Private
  • Designation: Listed Building grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Ben Robinson 01480 412107

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England