The Rotunda, Green Hill, Woolwich Common SE18 - Greenwich

24-sided polygon, single storey building designed by John Nash. Concave conoid roof; first erected in the grounds of Carlton House in 1814 for (premature) celebration of Allied victory in the Napoleonic wars. The Rotunda housed the reserve collection of the 'Firepower' museum but is now vacant. The roof covering is leaking and there is considerable concern about the condition of internal timbers. Urgent works are needed and investigations into the roof structure are outstanding. Discussions regarding its potential re-use continue.

The Rotunda, Green Hill, Woolwich Common SE18 - Greenwich
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    THE ROTUNDA (ROYAL ARTILLERY MUSEUM)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1078987
    Local Planning Authority:
    Greenwich
    Site Type:
    Defence > Military building

Location

    Building Name:
    The Rotunda
    Street Name:
    Greenhill
    Locality:
    Woolwich Common
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Greenwich
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Greenwich and Woolwich
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    A - Immediate risk of further rapid deterioration or loss of fabric; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    A
    Ownership:
    Government or agency
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA