Martello Tower "D", 450 metres SSW of Clubhouse, Clacton Golf Course, Clacton on Sea - Tendring

One of 29 Martello towers originally built along the east coast 1808-12, against the threat of French invasion. Owned by Tendring District Council, but access is difficult because site sits partly within a private golf course. The forward battery was lost in the1980s during construction of new sea defences. No internal access currently possible but the monument suffers from water ingress and loss of render. Historic England funded a feasibility study in 2015-6 to help Tendring District Council identify beneficial use and repair costs, and options are being reviewed.

Martello Tower "D", 450 metres SSW of Clubhouse, Clacton Golf Course, Clacton on Sea - Tendring
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Martello tower D, 450m SSW of the Club House, Clacton Golf Course
    Heritage Category:
    Scheduled Monument
    List Entry Number:
    1016553
    Local Planning Authority:
    Tendring
    Site Type:
    Defence > Coastal defence site

Location

    Building Name:
    Martello Tower "D"
    Locality:
    Clacton on Sea
    County:
    Essex
    District / Borough:
    Tendring
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Clacton
    Region:
    East of England

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Poor
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Private
    Designation:
    Scheduled Monument and Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number(s):
    1016553 and 1111524