Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel, Westgate, Stanhope - County Durham (UA)

Former Primitive Methodist chapel, with attached schoolroom, constructed in 1871 to the design of George Race Junior & Atkinson and incorporating parts of an earlier C19 chapel. Investigative works and urgent repairs, part-funded by Historic England, were completed in 2013. While an agreed viable use for the chapel and schoolroom has yet to be found, an updated condition assessment and conservation statement have been prepared to help inform a management plan. Urgent roof repairs were carried out in 2017 with funding from Historic England.

Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel, Westgate, Stanhope - County Durham (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1232510
    Local Planning Authority:
    County Durham (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel
    Locality:
    Westgate
    Unitary Authority:
    County Durham (UA)
    Parish:
    Stanhope
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    North West Durham
    Region:
    North East and Yorkshire

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Fair
    Occupancy / Use:
    Vacant/not in use
    Priority:
    E - Under repair or in fair to good repair, but no user identified; or under threat of vacancy with no obvious new user (applicable only to buildings capable of beneficial use)
    Previous Priority:
    E
    Ownership:
    Charity (heritage)
    Designation:
    Listed Building grade II*, CA