The Marks Stones, Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath - Barking and Dagenham

Boundary marker of the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower, set up in 1642. There are two stones; one inscribed 'Marks Stone' and one inscribed 'Marks Stone Sept 1642'. One stone is broken and in safekeeping, the other remains in its original position. The stones are to be repaired by the quarry operators once restoration of the area is complete. A feasibility report, with funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund in 2015, explored the potential of the site. The site’s use and maintenance is being discussed with the Local Authority, the Crown Estate and Historic England.

The Marks Stones, Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath - Barking and Dagenham
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    THE MARKS STONES (ON EAST SIDE OF ROAD NORTH OF EASTERN AVENUE, SET IN A HEDGE)
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1079887
    Local Planning Authority:
    Barking and Dagenham
    Site Type:
    Barrier

Location

    Building Name:
    The Marks Stones
    Street Name:
    WHALEBONE LANE NORTH
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Barking and Dagenham
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Dagenham and Rainham
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Building or structure
    Condition:
    Very bad
    Occupancy / Use:
    Not applicable
    Priority:
    D - Slow decay; solution agreed but not yet implemented
    Previous Priority:
    D
    Ownership:
    Crown