The Historic Environment in Local Plans
Historic Environment Good Practice Advice in Planning: 1
The purpose of this Good Practice Advice note is to provide information on good practice to assist local authorities, planning and other consultants, owners, applicants and other interested parties in implementing historic environment policy in the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and the related guidance given in the National Planning Practice Guide (PPG).
This document sets out information to help local planning authorities make well informed and effective local plans.
We are currently reviewing our advice in light of the changes to the National Planning Policy Framework, and will amend it, where necessary, in due course.
Please note: On 1 April 2015 the part of English Heritage represented on this website changed its name to Historic England. You may notice that some of our content still refers to English Heritage. We are in the process of rebranding, but in the meantime please be assured that all our content and guidance is still correct.
- NPPF requirements
- Gathering evidence
- Sources of evidence
- Application of evidence
- A positive strategy for conservation and enjoyment of the historic environment
- Strategic policies for the conservation of the historic environment
- Identifying inappropriate development
- Development Management Policies for the historic environment
- Site Allocations
- Planning across boundaries
- Cumulative impact
- Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects
- Marine Planning
- Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
- Section 106 agreements
- Infrastructure Delivery Plans
- Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
- Strategic Environmental Assessments (SEA)/ Sustainability Appraisals (SA)
- Neighbourhood Plans
- Series: Guidance
- Publication Status: Completed
- Pages: 14
- Product Code: HEAG020
Also of interest...
This page sets out how the planning system works to protect historic places.
Find out about the services we offer to support people involved in managing change to the historic environment.
See our advice on drawing up Local Plans that make provision for historic buildings and sites in their area.
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Email: [email protected]