Maltings in England
Strategy for the Historic Industrial Environment Report No. 1
Today, few malthouses survive unaltered. The study of their buildings, often as they become subject to listed building applications or are re-developed as part of the general planning process has enabled a detailed understanding of the buildings and their development to be obtained.
This report will seek to characterise and assess the malting industry:
- by providing a summary of its process and historical context;
- by outlining the historical development and typology of its buildings and their distribution;
- by establishing the known stock of surviving buildings of the industry by county;
- by indicating the adequacy of protective designation of these buildings.
- Publication Status: Completed
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516