Planning for Archives: Opportunities and Omissions
End of project report, project 7756
By Ben Donnelly-Symes
This report was prompted by the 'Twenty First Century Challenges for Archaeology Project' - which amongst other challenges identified issues with Archaeological Archives - and by the Mendoza Review into museums. This report looks at the relationship between planning policy and archaeological archives.
It makes recommendations surrounding:
- References to archaeological archives in policy and guidance documentation
- On sharing best practice
- Digital Archiving
- Improving communication
ALGAO: England were commissioned to produce this report.
- Objective 1: To examine critically the wording and objectives of the NPPF with regard to archiving to determine the suitability or otherwise of current wording
- Objective 2: To identify the different interpretations, and subsequent opportunities afforded by the same, made by local planning authorities
- Objective 3: To determine whether the requirements for ‘useful’ archives in European Guidance are accurately reflected and achievable within national planning policy
- Objective 4: To ascertain blockages to delivering effective archiving through the planning process and to identify potential solutions and areas of improvement in the current process
- Objective 5: To share best practice of archiving amongst local planning authorities
- Final Recommendations
- Post Project evaluation plan
- Appendix 1: Survey Questionnaire sent to ALGAO:England members
- Publication Status: Completed
- Pages: 49
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Email: [email protected]
Also of interest...
Announcing a project to work towards solutions to important issues within the archaeology sector in England.
Archaeological archives consist of the records and finds made during an archaeological project
An action plan to address the challenge of sustainable management of archaeological archives.