Sutton Town Centre Historic Area Assessment
By Jack Hanson, Adam Partington, Olivia Morrill
- Understand what defines the heritage significance of the Sutton's town centre
- Identify the architectural and historic interest of the town centre's heritage assets
- Understand the distinctive historic character and appearance of the centre, and how the legacies of the past continue to contribute to the modern townscape
- Highlight issues and opportunities for change for the centre's historic environment and heritage assets
This understanding in turn can be used to:
- Achieve more informed management of Sutton's heritage
- Assist planners, property owners, developers, heritage specialists, local communities, and others in shaping a sustainable future for the town centre
- Celebrate the centre's distinctive sense of place which is anchored in centuries of growth, change, and prosperity
- Capitalise on existing and potential roles that heritage plays in the town centre,
composed of people, stories, spaces and buildings that can provide long-term
environmental, social and economic benefits.
You can download the full Historic Area Assessment in the Historic England Research Report Series.
This document was prepared by Locus Consulting on behalf of Historic England and the London Borough of Sutton.
- Statement of heritage significance
- Historic townscape character
- Condition of the historic built environment
- Sutton's heritage resources
- Publication Status: Completed
- Pages: 42
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Also of interest...
Helping Sutton face the challenges presented by growth whilst ensuring the character of the town centre is not lost.
Find out about the different approaches available for identifying and interpreting the historic dimensions of present day landscapes or townscapes.