12 Clifford Street, York
This building was originally a Technical College. It was built in 1883-85 by WG Penty for The York Institute of Science, Art and Literature. The Institute had been founded in 1827. To the right of the door is a reset marble foundation stone. This records its laying by the Prince of Wales on the 18th of July 1883.