37 Stepney Green, Stepney, Greater London
This house is the only remaining example, in this area, of many smart brick classical houses built in the suburbs in the 17th century. The doorway has panelled pilasters and carved scroll brackets supporting a fine shell hood. The interior has a fine contemporary staircase and marble fireplaces. It was built around 1694 by Dormer Sheppard, a slave owner and merchant. It then belonged to Dame Mary Gayer widow of the East India Company's governor of Bombay. It became an institution and was a Home for Aged Jews after 1880. It became a private house again in 1998.