A view of a ward in a hut, London Hospital annexe, High Wood Hospital, Brentwood, Essex
A view of the male surgical ward. The London Hospital was damaged by air raids early in World War Two. It opened a new country hospital at Brentwood, Essex, on the hutted ward system, to deal with additional casulaties. In hospital was built in 1940, in Brentwood, as part of the Emergency Medical Service which had been established in 1939. This hospital opened in 1941 as an ‘annexe’ to the London Hospital, later the Royal London Hospital. After World War Two the huts provided accommodation for children with learning difficulties.