AA Telephone Call Box No 487, A591 Wythburn to Grasmere, Cumbria
The AA (Automobile Association) was formed in 1905 as a group of cycle 'scouts' who patrolled roads to warn AA members of police speed traps ahead. They built their first roadside box in 1911. Early AA boxes had fire extinguishers and maps as well as phones. Until the 1950s, when radios were introduced, AA patrols used the boxes as a base. In 1920 members were given keys to allow them access. This is a 1956-type phone box. They were phased out in the 1970s.