Abbey Church, Battle Abbey, Battle, East Sussex
This is a reconstruction drawing of the consecration of the abbey church in 1094. The consecration is being performed by the archbishop of Canterbury in the presence of William Rufus (King William II, 1087-1100). Following his victory at the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William the Conqueror had founded Battle Abbey on the site of the battle in fulfilment of a vow to God. After the dissolution some of the buildings were converted into a mansion. Only the plan of the church remains. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.