Abbey Church of Holy Cross, Pershore, Worcestershire

Abbey Church of Holy Cross, Pershore, Worcestershire
Photograph taken 1951-1963 © Historic England Archive ref: HAW 9422/32

The Abbey at Pershore was originally founded circa 689 by Oswald, nephew of Ethelred, King of Mercia, for secular canons. It was refounded around 972 for Benedictine monks. The first Abbot, Foldbright, was appointed in 984. It was suppressed in 1540 during the dissolution of the monasteries.

Location

Worcestershire Pershore

Period

1950s (1950 - 1959)

Tags

aerial view town housing abbey monastery benedictine dissolution church 1950s (1950 - 1959)