Abbey Church Of The Holy Cross, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
This abbey church was originally part the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter and St Paul. It is built on the site of an Anglo Saxon church or monastery. The abbey was founded in 1083-90 and dissolved in 1540. It became a parish church after the Dissolution. The present Holy Cross Church contains many parts of the original abbey. These date back to the 11th century. The church also suffered damage during the Civil War siege of Shrewsbury in 1645. It was extensively restored and rebuilt in 1860.