Abbey Gatehouse, Abbey Precincts, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
This abbey dates from the 14th century. It housed the relics of the martyred king, St. Edmund. It was used as a temporary residence by Henry VI and was burnt out by an accidental fire in 1465. It finally became ruinous after King Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries in 1539. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010)but managed by St. Edmundsbury Borough Council.