Abbey Lawn (Row) Cottages, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Abbey Lawn (Row) Cottages, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
Photograph taken 27 October 2001 © Mr John Brookes. Source Historic England Archive ref: 376686

The Abbey Lawn (Row) Cottages were built in the late 15th century. They were built for the Abbey as a commercial venture. On the ground floor each had a shop to the front and a heated hall to the rear. These shops were opened to the street by lowering shutters to act as counters. The rear hall gave private access to an upper chamber (bedroom).

Location

Gloucestershire Tewkesbury

Period

Tudor (1485 - 1602)

Tags

timber framed architecture shop housing Tudor (1485 - 1602)