Abbey Mills, Chertsey, Surrey

Abbey Mills, Chertsey, Surrey
Photograph taken 1870 © Reproduced by permission of Oxfordshire County Council ref: HT01454

The watermill, a collection of weatherboarded buildings with tiled and thatched roofs, standing around the mill stream in the foreground. The water mill was in the possession of Chertsey Abbey at the Dissolution. The Benedictine monastery was founded in 964 when monks were transferred here from Abingdon. The Abbey was Dissolved in 1537. After 1537 the buildings were demolished for building materials.

Location