Abbot's Gate, Peterborough
This gate and lodgings were built in the 12th century. They were originally associated with Peterborough Abbey. Peada of Mercia founded Peterborough Abbey as a minster church, originally called Medehamstede, in 655. Little is known of its history and no details of the buildings survive. It was destroyed by the Danes in 870 and lay ruined until refounded circa 963-6 as a Benedictine monastery. This building and its complex was attacked and sacked by Hereward the Wake in 1070. In 1116 it was set on fire, the fire raged for 9 days. Rebuilding began shortly afterwards, again as a Benedictine monastery. It was dissolved in 1539 and reopened in 1541 as the cathedral of Peterborough.