Admiralty Look-out, Dover Castle, Dover, Kent
In 1905 a fire control post was built on the high cliff on the castle's southern boundary. It was used to control all the guns protecting Dover's Admiralty harbour. In 1914 the Admiralty port war signal station was built on top of it. From here the navy could controll all the shipping coming into and out of the harbour using flags and wireless. They could also quickly liaise with the gunners just below them. These 2 facilities are now known as Admiralty Look-out. They both played important roles in World War One and World War Two. The Look-out stands right on the cliff edge and has a tall naval signalling mast on top, used for communication with ships. The reinforced roof and blast-walls at the back were added in 1941 as protection from air raids. On a clear day you can see France when standing on the roof at Admiralty Look-out. This property is in the care of English Heritage (2013).