Alderman Proctor's Drinking Fountain, Clifton Down, Bristol
Alderman Proctor's Drinking Fountain commemorates the presentation of the Downs to the City of Bristol by the Merchant Venturers in 1861. It was put up in 1872 and designed by G and H Godwin in Gothic Revival style. A royal charter from Edward VI in 1552 was granted to 'The Master, Wardens and Commonalty of Merchant Venturers of the City of Bristol'. From the beginning of the 17th century until the early 19th century the Society managed Bristol’s harbour. The Society was heavily involved in the slave trade.