Almshouses and Chapel, Belmont, Herefordshire

Almshouses and Chapel, Belmont, Herefordshire
Photograph taken 14 September 1999 © G. Jane Fleet. Source Historic England Archive ref: 155343

This almshouse and chapel were built in 1852 by R C Carpenter. They were built for Francis Wegg-Prosser, the lord of the manor. Francis became a Roman Catholic and founded a monastery at Belmont for a community of Benedictines. The Church of the Monastery was consecrated in 1860. A school was later established there.

Location

Herefordshire Belmont

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

almshouse chapel religion faith catholic Victorian (1837 - 1901)